The body fat scale helps you keep your body composition and weight in check. Here, body composition means percentages of muscle, fat, and water content in the body. If you are on a weight gain or weight loss program, measuring your body fat is also an important step.
More the resistance your body has, the higher is the percentage of fat in your body. Body fat has less water content than that of the muscles in your body, which makes it denser. Due to its high density, body fat does not let the current pass through it easily.
Table of Contents
How to Use a Body Fat Scale
It is natural to be new and unknown to the mechanisms of a body fat scale. Here are a few steps and guidelines to help you figure out the usage of a body fat scale.
Selecting the Body Fat Scale
If you are keen on keeping an eye on your body fat index, the selection procedure is one of the most important steps. Take your time to go through multiple products and their individual reviews that will help you get the best body fat scale.
Your Workout Routine
Once you start your workout, you must keep checking your muscle-mass. Many a time, the targeted areas can show no improvement, which is when you need to reconsider your routine. If you notice that your muscles mass has been declining significantly, you must consider adding polymeric workouts. However, the most important step is to figure out why do you want to work out.
If you want to stay consistent with your results and routine, make sure that your water intake remains the same every day. This will give accurate and desired results.
Measuring at a Fixed Time
If you want to keep track of your body fat, it is important for you to use the scale at the same time every day. A routined check keeps the accuracy of these scales intact.
Not Using the Scale after a Workout Session
It is never recommended to use your body fat scale after you exercise. While working out, it is natural for you to sweat, which in turn affects the hydration levels. Therefore, using a body fat scale right after a workout session can affect the accuracy of your results to a certain extent.
Accuracy of a Body Fat Scale
Buying electronic appliances can surely put you in a fix when you try to chart out its usage. Talking about the accuracy of a Body Fat Scale, it provides only rough estimates. Nonetheless, it is completely safe to use. Here are a few things that tend to affect the accuracy of the results:
- Gender: It is natural for women to have a higher fat content than men. Thus the accuracy may be relatively different for both.
- Fat storage: A human body has fat spread all across the body. Even organs are covered with fat. Thus, the results depend on how and where your body has stored fat.
- Expecting Mothers: if you are someone who is in their trimesters, a body fat scale is not recommended. Due to the hormonal and internal changes taking place in a woman’s body during the period of pregnancy, the results can be altered a lot.
- Age: While adults can rely on a body fat scale to a great extent, these scales are never recommended for children.
- Height and body shape: How you are built can also affect the accuracy of the results. Body fat is not necessarily a bad thing. An essential fat constituent in one’s body is normal and depends on the stature and the height of an individual.
- Resistance training: Under resistance training, one’s muscle strength is the prime focus. Resistance training and endurance affect body fat significantly.
BMI vs. Body Fat
Body mass index or BMI is far more reliable when it comes to keeping track of your health. Unlike Body Fat Scales, BMI cannot measure the fat percentage, but it gives you the perfect picture of the right weight you should maintain based on your age and height.
BMI Recommendation Chart (For Adults)
Below 18.5: Underweight
18.5-24.9: Normal (Healthy)
While body fat scales can prove helpful to keep track of your fat percentage, it cannot present you with the complete picture of the fat-to-muscle ratio of your body. The body fat scales can, however, be used as a complementary tool in addition to other scales. So having a clear understanding of the same can certainly come in handy, providing you the right assistance.